Foi anunciado hoje o acordo definitivo que a Qualcomm irá comprar a NXP, por um valor total de $47 bilhões. A NXP Semiconductors havia adquirido a Freescale o ano passado pelo valor de 11,8 bilhões de dólares no momento de sua junção.
Em 2015, a Qualcomm estava em terceiro no ranking de maior faturamento da indústria de semicondutores e a NXP em sétimo, segundo a IHS responsável pelo ranking. Veja abaixo:
“Com inovação e invenção em nossos núcleos, a Qualcomm tem desempenhado um papel fundamental na condução da evolução da indústria mobile. A aquisição NXP acelera nossa estratégia de alargar a nossa tecnologia mobile em novas oportunidades, onde estaremos bem posicionados para liderar, fornecendo soluções de semicondutores em grande escala”, disse Steve Mollenkopf, CEO da Qualcomm Incorporated.
Com a combinação das empresas, será assumida a liderança nos segmentos de mobile, automotivo, Internet das coisas, segurança, RF e redes.
“A combinação da Qualcomm e NXP irá reunir todas as tecnologias necessárias para realizar a nossa visão de conexões seguras para o mundo mais inteligente, combinando computação avançada e conectividade onipresente, com soluções de segurança e de sinal misto de alto desempenho, incluindo microcontroladores. Em conjunto, seremos capazes de fornecer soluções mais completas que nos permitirá aumentar ainda mais nossa posição de liderança e expandir as parcerias já fortes com a nossa ampla base de clientes, especialmente nos setores automotivo, consumidor e Internet das coisas industrial e segurança no nível do dispositivo”, disse Rick Clemmer, CEO da NXP.
Sobre as aquisições:
Esse acordo foi maior que a compra da Broadcom pela Avago em maio do ano passado, por $37 bilhões. Além disso, outras transações sacudiram a indústria de semicondutores. A Intel pagou $16,7 bilhões pela Altera, a On Semiconductors pagou $2,4 bi pela Fairchild e a Microchip pagou $3,56 bilhões pela Atmel.
Veja abaixo na integra a carta do anuncio da compra da NXP pela Qualcomm.
October 27, 2016
Dear Friends, Partners and Customers,
On October 27, 2016, we announced that NXP has agreed to be acquired by Qualcomm. This will create the industry powerhouse to focus on Secure Connections for a Smarter World.The combining of NXP into Qualcomm is based on compelling strategic logic that brings together two highly successful and complementary businesses to create a premier semiconductor industry leader. With unique leadership positions in Wireless technologies, Security and Processing, the union is ideally positioned to address the emerging trends of ADAS and Autonomous Vehicles, the Internet of Things (IoT) and the 5G revolution.
The combining of NXP into Qualcomm is based on compelling strategic logic that brings together two highly successful and complementary businesses to create a premier semiconductor industry leader. With unique leadership positions in Wireless technologies, Security and Processing, the union is ideally positioned to address the emerging trends of ADAS and Autonomous Vehicles, the Internet of Things (IoT) and the 5G revolution.The combined company is expected to have annual revenues of more than $30 billion, serviceable addressable markets of $138 billion in 2020 and leadership positions across mobile, automotive, IOT, security and networking segments. The transaction has substantial strategic and financial benefits:
The combined company is expected to have annual revenues of more than $30 billion, serviceable addressable markets of $138 billion in 2020 and leadership positions across mobile, automotive, IOT, security and networking segments. The transaction has substantial strategic and financial benefits:
- Complementary technology leadership in strategically important areas: The transaction combines Qualcomm’s leadership in low-power advanced computing, connectivity and communications systems with NXP’s complementary leadership in general purpose and automotive grade processing, security, automotive safety sensors and RF; enabling more complete system solutions.
- Mobile: A leader in mobile SoCs, 3G/4G/5G modems and security.
- Automotive: A leader in global automotive semiconductors, including ADAS, infotainment, safety systems, body & networking, powertrain & chassis and secure access.
- IoT and Security A leader in broad-based MCUs, secure identification, mobile transactions, payment cards and transit; strength in application processors and connectivity systems.
- Networking: A leader in network processors for wired and wireless communications and RF sub-segments, Wave-2 11ac/11ad, RF power and BTS systems.
- Enhanced go-to-market capabilities to serve our customers: The combination of Qualcomm and NXP’s deep customer and ecosystem relationships and distribution channels enables the ability to deliver leading products and platforms at scale in mobile, automotive, IoT, industrial, security and networking.
- Shared track record of innovation and commitment to operational discipline: Both companies have demonstrated a strong commitment to technology leadership and best-in-class product portfolios with focused investments in R&D. Qualcomm and NXP have both taken action to position themselves for profitable growth, while maintaining financial and operational discipline.
Qualcomm is an exceptional company with a like-minded approach to that of NXP, in terms of customer-focused innovation. Its exceptional heritage, engineering execution capability and richness of technology are an ideal match to NXP’s long-standing commitment to the Automotive, Security, Networking, Consumer and Industrial markets. We and the entire NXP team are delighted at this prospect and wish to assure you of our continued commitment to you throughout the entire transition phase and beyond.
Of course, the transaction is subject to regulatory approvals and other closing conditions, so we anticipate that the acquisition will likely close during the end of calendar 2017. However, for now and until the close of the deal, it will be business as usual, and all NXP employees will remain focused on total customer satisfaction with a passion to win.
On behalf of the entire organization, we thank you for your continued support, as we together continue to complete the integration of the Freescale and NXP systems. We are truly excited about our potential as a combined company with Qualcomm and the increased ability to deliver to you unsurpassed customer service and innovative products. We are confident that our combination with Qualcomm will be as seamless as possible and look forward to working with you for many years to come.
We will keep you informed as additional information becomes available that we are legally permitted to share.
President & CEO
EVP Global Sales & Marketing